Home > Sri Lanka > 16th January – Going to Galle and relaxing at Cantaloupe Aqua

16th January – Going to Galle and relaxing at Cantaloupe Aqua

We leave Mirissa for Galle today to stay in a very posh and modern hotel called Cantaloupe Aqua. Hopefully today will be without any hassles.

After checking out from our hotel I told Julie that on the day we came back from our second trip of surfing in Weligama there was a snake outside our door. It was a baby one I think but did not tell her at the time as she would either never leave the room or go back into it. This left her asking questions and quite grateful she never saw it.


We walked to the main road to find a bus to Galle but no bus would stop for us. Our bags put them off so had to get a tuk tuk to Weligama and then hop on a bus from there. The journey wasn’t too long and after 40 mins we reached Galle. Sri Lanka has some of the most amazing beaches and its a very lovely drive where you smell the sea throughout the whole journey. All you can do is admire the turquoise colour of the ocean and it’s clarity.

For more photos, please click here

Annoyingly our hotel was in Talpe which we had just driven past with the bus and had to get a tuk tuk back on ourselves again. We looked out for hotel whilst on the bus but never saw it and also very annoying as it costs us some hundreds of rupees.

We arrived at Cantaloupe Aqua. It’s a very modern hotel with Andy Warhol type of paintings hanging on the walls. Comfortable leather chairs for sunbathing and an infinity pool. This is owned by Nadeem (a friend in Colombos brother) and we chatted to him on our arrival whilst he ate breakfast. Heard a lot about him but never met him.


We freshened ourselves and went into Galle for lunch. First stop was the tourist info centre (run by the government) and were told by the staff they felt the prices that the government charge for entry into places were too high aswell and they didn’t even know the CT ticket (allows you into several places at a cost of €40) had been stopped. Sooner or later the government will realise they are charging too much and reduce their prices.

We then had lunch at a Chinese place in Galle. The food we ordered were for two people but the portions were for a family of 10 but we still polished them off and chatted to the owner at the same time. Headed back to the hotel by bus. Julie sunbathed whilst I lay in bed watching tv and ocassionally popping out onto the balcony to view the ocean. Julie joined me later and we watched the sunset from
our balcony.

Dinner was had at the hotel, i had a chicken curry and Julie a Thai. It was absolutely delicious and chatted to one of the staff about the cyclone they had at the end if Dec. We retired into our rooms to sleep in this comfortable bed, probably the most comfortable since we started travelling.

En français:

Aujourd’hui on quitte Mirissa pour aller à Galle ou le frère d’Hatem, le pote de Kwasi, à un hôtel.
On prend nos sacs, on va u bord de la route et on arrête plusieurs bus mais tous refusent de nous prendre. On apprendra plus tard que c’est à cause de nos sacs.

On prend alors un tri-shaw pour aller jusqu’à la gare routière de Weligama et on montre dans le premier bus. On s’installe tout au fond avec nos sacs et ça passe.


On descend au centre-ville de Galle et on demande aux gens, commerçants si il savent ou se trouve l’hôtel: Cataloupe Aqua. Personne ne sait.
Kwasi n’a pas l’adresse ni le numéro donc il faut qu’on trouve un internet café. On va à la Poste en pensant qu’ils auront les Pages jaunes mais non. Ils ont internet et ils cherchent l’hôte pour nous.
La bonne blague c’est qu’on est passe devant en bus. Il faut donc qu’on prenne un tuk-tuk dans l’autre sens.
On en prend un premier, vraiment bizarre, qui nous dépose au milieu de nulle part.
On marche jusqu’a une guesthouse qui nous dit que c’est encore a 5km! On doit donc en prendre un dernier tuk-tuk.

On arrive enfin devant le portail de l’hôtel Cantaloupe Aqua et quand il s’ouvre, j’hallucine. C’est un super petit hôtel design avec piscine à debordement, parasols et chaisses longues avec vue sur l’océan turquoise. Un régal!

Pour plus de photos, cliquez ici

On s’enregistre puis on retrouve le frère d’Hatem, Nadeem, qui est en train de prendre son petit déjeuner.
On papote avec lui en sirotant notre “welcome drink”, de l’eau de coco.


Quand on monte dans notre chambre, on hallucine encore plus: lit super grand, super confortable, super propre, TV, salle de bain avec douche séparée et surtout balcon avec vue sur l’océan. On le voit même allongé au fond du lit!

Comme on a faim, on décide de sortir de l’hôtel (eh oui, c’est bien trop cher pour nous) mais il n’y a rien dans les environs donc on prend le bus pour Galle.

On prend des infos au centre touristique puis on trouve un restaurant chinois pour déjeuner. On commande deux portions de nouilles sautées et on en reçois assez pour 6!

Une fois rassasié, on reprend le bus dans l’autre sens et on se repose dans notre super hotel.

Pour le dîner, on décide d’essayer le restaurant de l’hôtel (ben oui, il n’y a rien autour…). Je choisis un curry thaï et Kwasi, un curry sri lankais. On se régale.
À la fin du dîner, le serveur nous explique que fin décembre, ils ont eu beaucoup de dégâts avec l’ouragan Thane, le même qui faisait des siennes quand on et à
Mamallapuram en Inde.

On passe le reste de la soirée dans notre super chambre à regarder Anges et Démons à la TV.

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: